Thirteen-year-old Nick Lamb was at home alone and was sleeping when Ace jumped on his bed.
“My dog licked my face and woke me up,” Nick told WISH-TV Indianapolis. “I was like, ‘Stop it! What? You want to be fed?’ I thought he wanted to be fed or go outside.”
But Ace wouldn’t stop licking Nick and that’s when he noticed the house was full of smoke.
“I couldn’t hear anything because I had my cochlear implants off. … My dog Ace smelled it,” said Nick. Nick grabbed one of his implants and without any shoes he went downstairs with Ace. Nick and Ace navigated to the back door through the smoke and fire.
The blaze destroyed the family’s home, but firefighters were able to rescue the cat stuck inside. The family home was a total loss, but the family is incredibly grateful that Ace saved Nick’s life.